November 29, 2013 - Mississauga Convention Centre, Mississauga
December 2, 2013 - Minto Suite Hotel, Ottawa

Members - $225
Non-Members - $325


Registration Form

Most residents in long-term care (LTC) have been diagnosed with at least one chronic, life-limiting disease. While only 10% of people die suddenly, the other 90% will require support and care at the end of life¹. Providing palliative care and end-of-life care is a function of LTC homes, although many homes do not have formalized palliative care programs.

The Quality Palliative Care in Long Term Care Alliance, a group of long term care homes and stakeholders, have created a palliative care framework that includes a philosophy, program description and process of organizational culture change that adopts a bottom-up capacity development approach. Change begins with a comprehensive organizational assessment, followed by PSW empowerment, developing a palliative care team and staff-led quality improvement initiatives.

This full day workshop will provide participants with:
  • A federal vision for palliative care and how this supports the delivery of palliative care and end-of-life in long term care.
  • Two frameworks for providing palliative care in long term care homes.
  • Strategies for engaging personal support workers as change agents.
  • Strategies to support staff, families and residents with grief and loss.
  • An opportunity to hear from a resident, a family member and a volunteer who will each share their experiences with palliative and end-of-life care.

Presenters

Sharon Baxter, executive director, Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association
Lisa Burmaster, personal support worker, Creek Way Village, Municipality of Halton
Leanne Clarke, project manager, The Way Forward
Sharron Cooke, resident, Newmarket Health Centre, York Region Housing & Long-Term Care
Melody Irwin, social worker, Lakeview Manor, Region of Durham
Marilyn Johns, family member, Allendale Nursing Home
Mary Lou Kelley, principle investigator, Quality Palliative Care in Long Term Care Alliance
Jackie McDonald, personal support worker, Bethammi Nursing Home, St. Joseph’s Care Group
Janine Maitland, senior research associate, St. Joseph’s Health Centre
Janet Townson, volunteer, Lakeview Manor, Region of Durham
Sharon Vance, coordinator of volunteer services, Lakeview Manor, Region of Durham