Seniors’ Care Priorities for Next Provincial Government: OANHSS
Toronto, Ontario (May 22, 2014) - This election the Ontario Association of Non-Profit Homes and Services for Seniors (OANHSS) is sending a clear message that seniors’ care and services must be a priority for the next government.
OANHSS has issued its election position statement, Meeting the Needs of Seniors Today and Planning for Tomorrow, identifying priorities and recommendations for the government to ensure adequate, safe and affordable care and services are available to meet the needs of Ontario’s seniors in long term care homes, seniors’ housing and community settings.
Key OANHSS recommendations include:
• Work with OANHSS and other stakeholders on comprehensive capacity planning exercise encompassing the full continuum of seniors’ care (i.e. home care, long term care, seniors’ housing and community support services).
• Provide more direct care staff to better support an increasingly challenging long term care resident population.
• Take a leadership role in developing a renewed affordable housing strategy.
• Increase funding for existing community support providers.
• Recognize the importance of keeping residents in their own community on a campus of care.
OANHSS is the provincial association representing not-for-profit providers of long term care, services and housing for seniors. Members include municipal, charitable and non-profit long term care homes, seniors’ housing projects and community service agencies. Member organizations serve over 36,000 residents annually and operate over 8,000 seniors’ housing units across the province.
- 30 -
For more information, contact
Senior Director, Corporate and Public Affairs
(W) 905-851-8821 ext. 233